OSA refers to Obstructive Sleep Apnea and is a sleep disorder. Due to this disorder, breathing (while sleeping) stops and starts repeatedly in the patient. It is the most common type of sleep apnea. A lot of people who snore suffer from this condition. It can develop in anyone but overweight adults who are middle aged are usually common sufferers of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. The following points explain how this sleep disorder might be affecting your breathing and why you should get medical help from a doctor in Maumee OH –
• How Does Obstructive Sleep Apnea Stop Breathing? –
When you are asleep, your throat is open so that you can breathe easily. The open throat allows air to pass in and out.
However, in some people the throat is narrow. So, when these people fall asleep, the muscles of the throat relax intermittently and the tissues close around, blocking the airway. This causes breathing to stop.
It might also lead to heavy snoring because air has to squeeze out through a blocked and narrow airway. However, snoring doesn’t necessarily mean that a person has Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sometimes, when you sleep on your back, your airway can get blocked and that can lead to snoring.
• What Happens When Your Breathing Stops? – A lot of times, OSA sufferers are unaware that their nights are punctuated by waking up. However, if you sleep with a partner or have a family member, they can tell you about your behavior when you are asleep.
If you suffer from this disorder, you would be a loud snorer. When your breathing stops for a while, the snoring would stop as well but then, you would gasp and snort.
This would happen multiple times during the night. The gasping and snorting can sometimes wake you up. So, if you find yourself waking up a lot during the night with a dry throat, feeling out of breath, Obstructive Sleep Apnea might just be the reason for that.
• Can Obstructive Sleep Apnea Be Fatal? – Obstructive Sleep Apnea is a serious condition which can be fatal in the following ways –
1. Strokes – Obstructive Sleep Apnea puts a strain on your cardiovascular system and increases your blood pressure. It increases the risk of hypertension and strokes, which can be fatal.
2. Heart Conditions – If you have an underlying heart condition, sudden loss of oxygen (hypoxia) can often worsen the situation and cause cardiac arrest. Many vascular diseases have been related to Obstructive Sleep Apnea. The risk of atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure is also increased due to this condition.
3. Liver Scarring – Liver function often shows abnormal results in tests in people suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It increases the risk of liver scarring.
4. Compromised Immune System – Because Obstructive Sleep Apnea affects your sleep, it can compromise your immune system and make you vulnerable to a host of diseases and infections.
There are various treatments for OSA and you should get medical help in Maumee OH immediately to treat it.
Same-Day Crowns – While You Wait
Instantly complete your smile after you’ve had an extraction. Jon Frankel Dentistry offers same-day crowns using our CEREC technology. We can mold and mill the crowns while you wait, helping you restore your beautiful smile in about an hour.
What Our Patients Are Saying
“I’m very grateful. I came here today, I’ve had years of dental problems. I came in on an emergency. Just the way they were so gentle and helpful with this procedure is greatly appreciated and I thank you.”
“Everyone at the office was smiling, respectful and very nice. They called you by your first name and shook your hand. I highly recommend Dr. Frankel and his staff.”
“Thanks to the amazing staff who did an Awesome job at making my 5 yr olds first experience with a filling a positive one. The first thing she said when she was finished was ‘everyone is so nice.’ “
Jon Frankel Dentistry (Toledo)
5012 Talmadge Road, Toledo, OH 43623
Phone: (419) 474-9611 | Fax: (419) 474-1902
|Monday & Tuesday:||7:30am -8:00pm|
|Wednesday & Thursday:||7:30am -5:00pm|
|Every other Saturday||8:00am – 12:00pm|
Frankel & Puhl Dentistry (Maumee)
4359 Keystone Dr, Maumee, OH 43537
Phone: (419) 893-0221 | Fax: (419) 893-3255
|Monday – Wednesday :||8:00am – 5:00pm|
|Every other Saturday||8:00am – 12:00pm|